HOME     SITES     ARCHAEOLOGY     HELP     CREDITS    

MAP SMELT MILL LEAD MINE ARCHIVE

PAST PERFECT LOGO
 
Archive photogtaph of Lintzgarth Smelt Mill
 
ENLARGE IMAGE
 

Lintzgarth Smelt Mill

Lintzgarth Smelt Mill, located on the south side of the Rookhope Burn, was the smeltmill for all the leadmines in the Rookhope Valley from 1740. It was built by the Blackett family in 1737 to replace an older mill. It was recorded in 1821 that the mill had one roasting furnace, three ore hearths and one slag hearth The smeltmill used orehearths, with an air blast powered by a waterwheel to smelt the ore. The mill was taken over by the Weardale Lead Company in 1883 and by 1884 it was made bigger to incorporate an extra roasting furnace and a reverbatory smelting furnace.

Learn more about
 
PREHISTORIC BURIALROMAN PERIOD FARMANGLO-SAXON ROYAL PALACEMEDIEVAL VILLAGEMEDIEVAL CASTLEPOST-MEDIEVAL LEAD WORKINGTWENTIETH CENTURY COAL MINE